Vans has been the #1 choice for skaters and anyone who likes to sport a bit of a street style. Vans offers shoes in different styles, colors and widths.
If you’re wondering which width is right for you or if there is any difference between regular and wide-width shoes, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, I will share the differences between Vans’ wide and normal-width shoes, how to measure your foot width for Vans and how to choose the right pair for yourself.
Differences Between Normal and Wide-Width Vans
As the name suggests, Vans normal and wide-width variants have different width measurements. The normal ones are for people with average or medium-width feet. The wide-width versions are for people with larger feet.
Now, let me dive deeper into the differences. Make sure to sick around if you don’t want to miss anything.
Comparing the Features of Vans Normal vs Wide
The overall shape of Vans normal and wide-width shoes is similar, as they both have a low-top design with a lace-up closure and a rubber waffle outsole. However, the wide-width shoes have a slightly wider base and more room in the midfoot area to accommodate wider feet.
The materials used for both types of shoes are also similar, as they are mostly made of canvas, suede or leather depending on the style. However, some wide-width shoes may have extra padding or reinforcement in certain areas to provide more comfort and support for wider feet.
The toe box is one of the main differences between Vans normal and wide-width shoes. The toe box is the part of the shoe that covers and protects the toes. The normal-width shoes have a narrow toe box that fits snugly around the toes, creating a sleek and streamlined look.
The wide-width shoes have a wider toe box that gives more space for the toes to move freely, creating a more relaxed and casual look. Some customers may prefer one type of toe box over another depending on their personal preference and comfort level.
You can also read my article on Cariuma vs Vans shoes.
Availability and Options (Vans Wide vs Normal)
Vans normal shoes have more options in terms of style and color than Vans wide shoes. For example, Vans normal shoes include classic slip-ons, old skool, sk8-hi, era, authentic, and more.
Vans wide shoes are mostly limited to old skool and authentic styles. Moreover, Vans normal shoes have more colors to choose from than Vans wide shoes. For instance, Vans normal shoes come in black, white, red, blue, green, yellow, pink, purple, and more. Vans wide shoes are mainly available in black and white.
If you are looking for more variety and customization in your Vans shoes, you may want to opt for the normal size. However, if you need more comfort and space for your feet, you may prefer the wide size.
You can also check my article, Why do Vans Hurt My Pinky Toe?
How to Measure Your Foot Size and Width?
If you want to buy a pair of Vans shoes online, you need to know your foot size and width to ensure a comfortable and accurate fit. Here are some steps you can follow to measure your foot size and width for Vans shoes:
1. Find a piece of paper that is larger than your foot and place it on a flat surface. Tape the paper to the floor to prevent it from moving.
2. Put on a pair of socks that you would normally wear with your Vans shoes and stand on the paper with one foot. Make sure your heel is against the wall or the edge of the paper.
3. Use a pencil to mark the longest part of your foot on the paper, which is usually your big toe or your second toe. Repeat this step for your other foot.
4. Use a ruler or a tape measure to measure the distance from the edge of the paper to the mark you made for each foot in inches or centimeters. This is your foot length.
5. To measure your foot width, use a soft measuring tape and wrap it around the widest part of your foot, which is usually near the ball of your foot. Make sure the tape is snug but not too tight. Note down the measurement in inches or centimeters. This is your foot width.
6. Compare your measurements with the Vans size chart on their website or on their product pages to find out what size and width you need for their shoes. You can also use their online fit finder tool to get personalized recommendations based on your measurements and preferences.
7. If you are between sizes or widths, it is recommended that you go for the larger size or width for more comfort and room for movement.
By following these steps, you can measure your foot size and width for Vans shoes and order them online with confidence.
How to Choose the Right Fit for Your Comfort and Style?
Choosing the right fit of Vans shoes according to your comfort and style can be tricky, but here are some tips to help you.
Measure your feet first. You can use the tips I suggested earlier.
Get the right size. Vans shoes normally run true to size. Still, you should compare your feet measurement to the size chart of Vans.
Third, consider the type of vans shoes you want to buy. There are different styles such as slip-ons, lace-ups, high-tops and low-tops. Each style has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of comfort and support. For example, slip-ons are easy to wear and take off, but they may not provide enough stability for some activities.
Lace-ups offer more adjustability and snugness, but they may take more time to put on and off. High-tops provide more ankle protection and warmth, but they may feel heavier and bulkier than low-tops. Low-tops are lighter and more breathable, but they may expose your ankles to injuries or cold weather.
Fourth, try on the Vans shoes before buying them if possible. Make sure there is enough room for your toes to wiggle and your heel to move slightly without slipping out of the shoe.
The shoe should feel comfortable and secure without being too tight or too loose. You can also walk around in them for a few minutes to see how they feel on different surfaces and movements.
To sum up the article, Vans regular shoes have more style and color options. The wide ones may have some extra padding and obviously some extra width. My suggestion is to try out the shoes for the first time in a physical shop. Once you know, what your perfect size is, you can use it for future purchases as well.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this article as much as I have enjoyed writing it. If you’ve found it useful, feel free to share with your friends.