On Cloud shoes are very popular, and it’s ideal for everyday use because it gives a very comfortable feel. Being a runner, I understand how much it bothers you when the shoes get dirty. We always want to keep our footwear fresh like new ones. But as we have to use our boots regularly for long hours, it’s pretty hard to prevent them from getting dirty. However, it’s not hard to clean On Cloud shoes. Go through this article to know How to Wash On Cloud Shoes in detail.
How To Wash On Cloud Shoes in the Washing Machine?
- Liquid Detergent
- Old towels (4 to 6) or Pillowcase
- Mesh bags
- Distilled white vinegar
Step 1: Ensure your shoes are free of mud and filth. If the soil is still moist, wait for it to dry. You may bang the On Cloud shoes together over a garbage can or use a brush to remove as much dirt as possible.
Step 2. Take off the shoes’ laces and insoles. Scrub the laces with an old toothbrush. Gather a mesh bag or Pillowcase and place the laces inside to keep them from becoming tangled in the washing machine. You may keep the insoles in this bag as well.
Step 3. To keep your footwear from banging around in the washing machine, put them in a mesh garment bag. Place the bag and a couple of old towels in the washer so that the load is balanced.
Step 4. Try to use old towels since new ones may drain extra color into your shoes, staining them. Since the washing machine has small openings to drain water, these towels and mesh bags act as protection. If you don’t want the fabric to snag on the holes and ruin your shoes, use 4 to 6 towels.
Step 5. Select a slow or no-spin setting on your washing machine’s cold water cycle. Since powder detergent may not dissolve correctly, it can get caught in shoes, so use liquid detergent alternatively. Lower temperatures are better for liquid detergent.
Pour one scoop of liquid detergent and one teaspoon of distilled white vinegar. White vinegar will keep the shoe odor-free. Cleaning the shoes may take 30 to 40 minutes.
Step 6. Take your shoes and laces out from the mesh garment bags when the wash cycle is over and allow them to dry completely. Fill them with dried newspapers or towels to soak moisture and ensure the shoes maintain their shape while they dry. Keep the newspapers for at least 12 to 13 hours, and then check whether your shoes have dried or not. Or put your boots in a warm spot but away from direct sunlight.
This process can lessen the drying time. Sometimes, it may take several days for the shoes to dry properly. Though using a dryer is not suggested because the heat might damage the fabric of your shoes, you can use a dryer rack if you’re in a hurry.
Cover them in old towels and put them in the dryer on the gentle or air blow option to protect your shoes. Stop the cycle regularly to inspect your shoes. Replace the insoles in your shoes and tie again the laces when everything is dry. Now go out in your brand-new shoes!
If interested, you can read our article, Can you wear On Cloud Shoes without socks?
How to Wash On Cloud Shoes by Hand?
Rub Down Method
After a walk, nothing feels better than a good rubdown, so why not do the same for your shoes? Follow the below steps:
- After a walk, when dirt has accumulated on the shoe, clean it with a “shoe brush” (any old toothbrush works well) to remove the thickest build-ups of mud and sludge.
- Dirt can be quickly and effectively removed by clapping the sneakers from sole to sole.
- Place the shoes in a warm place.
This is the most rapid method to get your shoes prepared for the next journey, and it just takes just a few minutes after the shoes are dry.
Hand Wash Method
- Detergent or soap
- Baking Soda
- Soft Sponge
- Lukewarm water
- Newspaper or towels
1. Clean the external dirt and debris from your shoes. Take off the shoes’ laces and insoles. Scrub the laces with an old toothbrush.
2. Separately clean the insoles. Disinfect the insoles with mildly soapy water using a soft toothbrush. Then, soak up as much extra moisture as possible using a sponge.
3. After that, scatter 1/4 teaspoon baking soda on the insoles and leave them up overnight to deodorize and absorb any residual water. Clean the baking soda during the day. When the insoles are dry, you may reinsert them into the shoes.
4. In a mixing basin, combine equal amounts of baking soda and liquid laundry detergent.
5. Rub the soles and heels with a brush dipped in the cleaning mixture.
6. Using a clean cloth and the cleaning mixture, clean the outside of your shoes.
7. Clean well with lukewarm water.
It’s time for the shoes to dry. Follow the methods mentioned in “How to Wash on Cloud Shoes in the Washing Machine” for drying your footwear.
How to Clean White On Cloud Shoes?
Brush away external debris with a soft shoe brush. Use mild, uncomplicated motions, and apply more delicate pressure than you would with a more rigid material like leather.
Combine 1/5 or 1/6 cup of bleach with 1 cup of water. Scrub the filthy portions of your shoes with an old toothbrush dipped in the solution. Wipe the brush with water, then scrub the spots until they’re disappeared. That’s how the white On Cloud shoes will be as white as a new one.
Caution: It’s essential to mix bleach with water and maintain the mixing ratio. Only excessive bleach may turn the shoes yellow and damage the fabric respectively.
You can check our article, how to clean white On Cloud Shoes?
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can You Put On Cloud Shoes in the Dryer?
Since On Cloud shoes are mostly made of recycled polyester and recycled polyamide, you can put them in the dryer. But this is not recommended. Read every one of the tags on your footwear and look for the phrase “hand wash only.” You shouldn’t place them inside the dryer if it says “hand washes only” on the tag!
Suppose you need to dry your shoes as soon as possible. Follow the below instructions:
• First, fill your On Cloud shoes and wrap them entirely with medium-sized towels. The towels will soak most of the moisture from the shoes while drying, preventing them from changing their form.
• Dry On Cloud shoes on a lower thermal setting, such as air dry or “air only,” because a high thermal setting will cause your shoe to stretch or distort. The intense heat may cause the glue that binds the footwear together to break down.
2. Are On Cloud Shoe Machines Washable?
On Cloud shoe is machine washable. Follow the instructions given in this article to wash cloud shoes in the washing machine.
3. How to Clean On Cloud Waterproof Shoes?
Waterproof On Cloud shoes have a Durable Water Repellent (DWR) coating that makes them hydrophobic. Any filth, dirt, or grease on your shoes might impair the DWR’s efficacy.
• It’s recommended to give your shoes an once-over wipe-down after coming in from the rain.
• All you’ll need is a towel or a soft brush and some water. Never use soaps or detergents when washing your waterproof footwear since they will completely demolish the DWR coating.
• For cleaning waterproof on cloud shoes, buy DWR- friendly cleaning products. Follow the instruction written on the label.Go for a cold wash and low-spin cycle on the washing machine.
• The DWR coating will need to be replenished regularly to protect water from seeping through your shoes. So you can spray-on DWR waterproofing, such as 303 Fabric Guard or Star Brite Waterproofing Spray.
2 thoughts on “How to Wash On Cloud Shoes? Step by Step Guide!”
Well done! Clearly presented instructions. Easy to follow. I like the fact that you explain the why you make specific recommendations, for example, why you recommend using mesh bags.
Thank you so much. Means a lot.