A good pair of shoes is the primary remedy a podiatrist will suggest for flat feet. A flat feet-friendly shoe will spread the bodyweight equally throughout your feet. Also, it provides cushioning and stability to walk miles without irritating those tired feet. These will ease your previous pain and prevent new issues from forming.
Birkenstocks is a German shoe brand that is also hugely popular in America claims to manufacture comfy shoes for people with fallen arches. But are Birkenstocks good for flat feet? Not everyone’s claim tends to be realistic, and it’s pretty standard. So it will help if you verify it. But before that…
What are Flat Feet, and Why Do People Get it?
Usually, people have feet that have the inside of the arches higher. But some of us have feet formed differently where the arches are fallen entirely. That is flat feet or pes planus in medical language. The feet look different and create many problems that make you suffer for the long term.
Flat feet are more about tissues and bones in our feet and legs. When they develop fully, humans are likely to have perfect feet. This is the reason why infants, also toddlers, have flat feet. While they grow, the bones in their feet grow as well, and the structure of the feet will form properly.
The bones and tissues aren’t solid in some grownups. This is why they’re prone to get damaged easily. Accidents, obesity, pregnancy, and age will cause the weak bones to be damaged. That is when you get flat feet. Again, people get it when it runs in their families.
Some people will face zero to no problem, while others will struggle to move around with these feet. But, what are they?
Problems Created by Flat Feet
Flat feet are the root cause of recurring foot pain and misalignment in people. Not saying all the people with foot pain have flat feet, but it’s ordinary in those with fallen arches. Since most people ignore this physical condition, they will face severe problems in the upcoming years.
The arches play a crucial role in supporting your body weight. If you’ve flat feet, you’re likely to have pain in your hips, ankles, and legs. This isn’t all. The situation may trigger lower back pain in some patients and is not surprising.
6 Reasons Birkenstocks are Good for Flat Feet
Birkenstock shoes are highly comfortable for flat feet. But what are the things that make it so unique to its wearers? Let’s dig down deeper.
1. Birkenstocks are very comfortable
We still didn’t get tired of explaining how comfortable Birkenstocks shoes are! Because the shape Birkenstock Picks for its shoes is reliable for people with certain foot conditions. The Birkenstock shoe’s arch support made it very popular with people with low arched feet. It’s also highly recommended for the high-quality materials it spends.
2. Birkenstocks Prevent Overpronation
As you already know that flat feet cause overpronation in some people. Overpronation is when your ankles roll too far while you walk. Accidents and injuries are everyday things with such problems. Birkenstock sandals will distribute the body weight throughout your whole feet. This helps to control pronation while walking.
3. Birkenstocks are Durable
Whenever we’re buying something, a question haunts us every time “is it going to serve us for a long time?” Yes, it will, though it may cost you a fortune. Durability depends on the material, and it not only gives it a solid form and makes it look chic. Birkenstocks never compromise their quality, so the shoes are so long-lasting.
4. They Have Comfy Insoles
The shoe manufacturer always puts soft cork footbed insoles that support cushioning. You’ll also find it easy to the toes as it has a nice toe bar. The insoles are also great to wear in winters as you’ll feel warm and snug with their shoes on.
5. Birkenstocks Sandals have Four Layers:
Birkenstock designs its shoes with four layers and superior arch support. The bottom layer has shock absorption ability to let you walk miles effortlessly. Then the textured skin makes it slip-proof as well. Now comes the second and the third layer; both work hard to keep your feet dry while walking on water. Yes, grab it before your next trip to the beach. Here we reach the top layer, The cork footbed layer. This hugs your feet and makes them feel cozy. The cushioning makes your feet feel at home, literally. The cherry on top arch support on the top layer will lift your fallen arch and support your body weight. So your toe and ankle pain will reduce over time.
6. Deep Heel Cup
Some Birkenstocks have a deep heel cup that aligns your feet with ankles, knees, and hips. This aids in the foot and back pain and prevents them from worsening further.
Yes, undoubtedly, Birkenstocks are good for Flat Feet. Many podiatrists recommend this shoe brand to people with this foot condition. Unless your doctor suggests you any specific shoe, you can try this German shoe brand, and we hope this will become your holy grail from the first day.
The above features make Birkenstocks good for flat feet.
How to Make Birkenstocks More Comfortable for Flat Feet?
Even though most people with flat feet find Birkenstocks good for flat feet, there are also people who did not find Birkenstocks good for flat feet. Few would say they don’t feel comfortable wearing it, and some say their feet pain a lot. But what are the causes? Let’s find out.
- Choose the perfect size for your feet. It’s not that you wear a size in other brands that will be your size in Birkenstocks. A little broader or narrower can make the pain worse.
- Once you bought your perfect-sized Birkenstock, time to put it on. But before you do that, you should flex your shoes inwards then outwards a few times. It makes it more comfortable for feet from the first time.
- Don’t tighten the straps and leave a proper gap between the shoe and feet.
- Look for a comfortable cork footbed with excellent arch support.
- New Birkenstocks may seem a little uneasy at first few wears. Try to wear them at least for 30-40 minutes every day and increase the time eventually. This will make the shoe comfortable for you to wear twenty-four seven.
- After a few wear, you’ll see the insole is damaging, so you can buy an extra insole that Birkenstock sells separately.
So after knowing the fact that some people find Birkenstocks not so comfortable for flat feet, are Birkenstocks still good for flat feet? If so, what styles are good for
What are the Best Birkenstocks Shoes for Flat Feet?
A few Birkenstocks that people with flat feet will love to wear are-
- Birkenstock Mayari Sandal
- Birkenstock Milano Sandals
- Birkenstock Gizeh Unisex Leather Sandals
- Birkenstock Arizona Sandals
How to Choose Sandals for Flat Feet?
If you are buying new sandals for yourself and have flat feet, then there are a few things to consider. Which are-
- Doctor’s Suggestions: Once you are diagnosed with flat feet, don’t be late to consult with a doctor. Only your doctor will understand your situation and the condition of your feet more than any of us. Ask your podiatrist if he has any specific suggestions for you while choosing sandals for low arched feet.
- Usage Intentions: Other than that, you’ve to consider how you’ll use these sandals. For instance, you may need to buy a sandal for a morning walk or hiking, and then you should pick something heavier as it’ll protect your feet. More serious sandals absorb shock while walking or running a long way.
- Material: Then comes the sandal material. Eva and rubber are two sandal materials that make the best flat feet sandals. Both work pretty much the same so choose sandals with any one of the two. Birkenstock uses natural latex on their shoes, and you know how good it is for the environment to avoid artificial latex.
- Arch Support: More importantly, arch support is a crucial factor in choosing sandals for Flat Feet. It would help if you looked for sandals that provide excellent arch support that is a fantastic choice for feet with fallen arches. Better not to buy summer shoes with the hope of getting some arch support. It’ll only make you waste some bucks.
Are Birkenstocks Good for Flat Feet? (FAQs)
How Can You Know You Have Flat Feet?
Answer: Other than visiting a podiatrist, you can test yourself for flat feet at home. Follow the steps-
- Wash your feet
- Spread a paper on a flat surface and leave your feet printed on it.
- Look at the prints carefully. If you see the imprint of your whole feet, you have flat feet.
Can Flat Feet be Corrected?
Answer: Flat feet in infants or toddlers will eventually get corrected independently. However, no treatment can fix flat feet in adults. This is an adult-acquired flat foot, and it’s not curable. It will get worse with aging.
Do Birkenstocks offer orthopedic support?
Answer: Birkenstocks have orthopedic insoles that support your body weight and provide stability. Again, the insoles that offer to cushion your feet. So, yes, it offers orthopaedic support.
Why do chiropodists suggest Birkenstock shoes?
Answer: Chiropodists suggest Birkenstock shoes because they come in cork footbeds that are incredibly comfy for people with or without foot issues. Not only that. They recommend Birkenstocks for its shock absorption ability and arch support as well.
So what are your thoughts now? Are Birkenstocks are good for flat feet? What about wide feet? Are Birkenstocks great for wide feet too? Let us know your opinions in the comments.